Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Thyroid & Insulin Resistance

I've recently become interested in alternative medicine. Well not all that recent, but now I'm willing to try something different. My thyroid is showing symptoms of stopping, hwoever my doctor keeps telling me that my thyroid is fine. Funny I have an aunt with no thyroid at all, she had thyroid cancer as a young woman, and her thyroid readings always come back as being normal.

So I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm hoping that through a radical diet change, and maybe a lifestyle change as well, I'll be able to help my thyroid out a little. This could be mere wishful thinking, but I'm hoping.

I've been told repeatedly is that soy interferes with thyroid production. I"m already allergic to soy, but find more and more sources of it in manufactured foods every day. Half the time they - the food manufacturers- don't even have to tell you it's there, they just call it protien. It's up to you the consumer to know what that means. So I'll be posting links to what I hope are informative or at least helpful.

Mind you if my doctor told me today that my thyroid was shutting down and that I needed to take a supplement I'd be on that like flies on honey! But I doubt I'll hear those words from her for quite some time.

Diabetes also runs in the family, I'm already hypoglycemic, suffer from low blood sugar. Since the endocrine regulates the thyroid and the pancreas I think it'll be well worth the effort.

No comments: